Edmonton Oilers general manager Stan Bowman launched the search for the franchise's 19th head coach on Friday, May 22, 2026, following a first-round playoff elimination by the Anaheim Ducks.
The search faces an obstacle as the Vegas Golden Knights reportedly withhold permission for Edmonton to interview candidate Bruce Cassidy, continuing a pattern of organizational resistance between the Pacific Division rivals.
>>> Maple Leafs GM Chayka Open to Trading Everyone Except Matthews
Historical Tensions Between Front Offices
According to The Fourth Period hockey insider David Pagnotta, Vegas previously blocked Edmonton from hiring an assistant coach from within the Golden Knights organization after initially granting interview permission and an offer being extended.
"This is not the first time Vegas has… I want to say denied yet because I guess they haven't technically.
I guess they kind of have, but they've pushed it off, or they're at least dangling a carrot that, hey, you'll be able to eventually," said Pagnotta.
The unnamed assistant coach was subsequently promoted within the Vegas organization approximately one year after the Oilers' pursuit was denied.
"But this is not the first incident involving this scenario between Vegas and Edmonton.
A few years ago, the Edmonton Oilers asked permission to speak with one of the assistant coaches within the Vegas/Henderson organization.
They were granted permission. The interview took place.
This individual got offered an assistant coaching job with the Oilers," said Pagnotta.
The strict divisional rivalry is speculated to heavily influence management decisions between the two competitive clubs.